Tuesday, October 4, 2016

RESULTS continued (pp. 109 - 124)

Covey reveals to us his personal definition of leadership: "Getting results in a way that inspires trust." That is how 'core' trust is to his philosophy of leadership. How many of you referenced trust in your own philosophy of leadership statements? Maybe it is time for a revision...?

This chapter asks us some sensitive questions about our performance:

* What kind of results am I current producing?

* Do those results increase or diminish my personal credibility?

* If I were considering hiring someone, to what extent would that person's track record and current performance influence my decision?

* How good is my own track record?

* How likely would someone be to hire me based on my track record?

* How good am I at identifying desired results and executing effectively to accomplish those results?

* Does my performance inspire confidence and trust?

Think about those thoughtfully. Answer them in a journal if that will help you reflect on them seriously.

We are all evaluated by three key indicators: past, current and anticipated performance.

Consider these companies listed on the Reputation Quotient Survey for 2016:


http://www.theharrispoll.com/reputation-quotient/

Covey encourages us to ask TWO questions about results: What (results am I getting)? and How (am I getting them)? Are you alienating people as you get results? This short-circuits long-term gains because relationships have been damaged. Similarly, if people are included and respected in the process of getting results, you actually exponentially improve future results (faster, easier, happier).

Covey makes a point on page 116 that could be controversial.  He challenges the traditional definition of success to include the paradigm that even falling short produces the result of learning. Do you buy it? Yes, no, sometimes?  Certainly this idea dovetails nicely with our aspiration to become a feedback-seeking culture. "There is...wisdom in creating a culture that makes it safe for [that] to happen. A transparent culture of learning and growing will generally create credibility and trust, even when the immediate results are not the best."

Wildcard question: Does your performance (results) impact your sense of personal value/worth?

How To Improve Your Results:

1. Take responsibility for your results -results, not activity, is what is required. Measure your results. You be the judge.  This is an incredible coaching tool for those who are young professionals. "I stayed on my diet" compared to "I lost 13 pounds".  This is a destination, not the journey, paradigm.

2. Expect to win (self-fulfilling prophecy) -  I love that Covey refreshes the story of Pygmalion for us. Remember how he set his hopes on his statue of Galatea becoming a real woman...and she did? People will live up to or down to whatever you expect of them. And you will too. We tend to get what we expect from ourselves...and others. This is a growth mindset!

3. Finish strong - Results are all about finishing strong. "Beginners are many; finishers are few." Pick up the pace at the end and finish strong.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the study on the "high acheiver" students. I've heard similar examples of people believing what they hear - both positive and negative. Especially when it's heard over and over.

    Finishing strong inspires trust not just in others that are watching but in ourselves as we realize we are capable of more than we thought. I may not meet the expectations I set for myself but if I don't abandon my goal I may meet or exceed that expectation on my next attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This new form of extra income generation of the people.


    G club Online gambling sites are a great way to help you make the most of online gambling and online gambling games. To make you an online investment player. If you bet on the online bets with us today, you will receive a lot of bonuses.


    In addition, the player who uses online betting services with us, the gambler can enter into a thrilling bet. We are the investor. Register with us. Without downloading the application, you can join the online investment with us unknowingly. Just have the internet, you can play anywhere anytime. With a very valuable investment. We also have jackpots that will give you a lot of money if you are interested in becoming part of our online betting site. And today, investors who come to the investment services on our website, you will receive a lot of promotions that players are interested in investing here. Gclub มือถือ

    ReplyDelete